Thursday, February 21, 2013

There is a first time for everything

This last week I did something that I haven't done in over seven years. I called Tim (my coach) to tell him that the other parts of my life were going crazy and I needed to step back from my workouts for a few days. Since I did my first 70.3 race in Oceanside in 2009 I have gotten very good at scheduling all the things in my life to meet all  needs. Life has a way of looking at your schedule and laughing while it throws it into the blender. This last week I finally had to say "uncle!"

Normally my workouts are what keeps the rest of my world sane, but lately they have just been adding to the stress of a way over scheduled life. Now this doesn't mean I am just sitting around. I am still trying to fit in some kind of activity, but it just doesn't have a specific purpose for my upcoming races.

Saturday I had to force myself to go on a scheduled trail run that was supposed to be somewhere between 40 - 90 minutes. I did what all of us do, and worked through every reason why I shouldn't be going. Finally, I knew I needed it and decided that if I just got in 30 minutes it would be good. I started from one end of the my normal trail and just went. The first 30-40 minutes my mind was racing with all of the stuff that I have going on in my life. Then I realized that I had set myself up to be running the toughest sections of the trails last. It was one of those moments where you should complain, but you know it won't make any difference. You still have to travel the path your on to get back no matter how hard it will be to make it. The funny thing is that the harder it got the less I could hear the other junk in my head. My focus had to be going forward. An hour and a half later and never running on the same trail finally put me in the right frame of mind.

That evening I was reading some other blogs that made me start thinking we all have our issues, and to each of us those things can be enormous. Sometimes instead of thinking of all the things that are crazy in our lives we just have to focus on going forward. Life isn't just a sprint from one point to another, but instead it is more of of a long training session that you slowly develop yourself to get across that final finish line. Sometimes it is our bodies that need to be healed and made better, sometimes it is our minds that need that help, and other times it is your faith (whatever that might be for you). When one of these is out of whack then they are all out of whack.

This next week I am going to really try on getting my balance back in order, and if not I will just keep going forward each day the best I can. Most of the things going in my world I really have no control over the outcome, and am just stressing out over it. I know that there is so much more serious stuff then just trying to handle our daily lives, and I will just keep reminded myself of those blessings that I see everyday in my family.

Remember your blessings and keep fighting!

Keebler


2 Timothy 4:7 (New International Version)

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment