Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cotton Country Sprint

This last weekend was the last triathlon of the season for me this year. It is a great race that is put on by Dee Dee Odorizzi at South Plains College called the Cotton Country Sprint. Since I have started triathlons I have always tried to make this race, because not only is it a fun reverse triathlon, but it has great food and live music at the end.

The reverse triathlon, for those of you that don't know, is set up as a 5k run, then a 14 mile bike, finished with a 400 yard swim. Just like last weekend it was short, fast, and intense. One of the best parts of the race was getting to meet, Sean Monroe, the guy from last weekend that I raced to the nearly puking finish at Tech.  This weekend I am glad to say that Sean won. Good job Sean!

Overall, I was really happy with how this race went. My run was good and steady, and I think it was the fastest 5K I have ever ran. The usual headwind we have on this race came on the second half this year, but gladly I was able to hold my speed. The first group of riders were far enough in front of me I couldn't see them, and the second group far enough behind me that I couldn't see them either so I was in my own lonely world for the biggest part of the bike. Once I got to the swim the closest guy was two lanes in front of me, and I was lucky enough to close the distance to half a lap. Unfortunatly, that wasn't enough and he still beat me. So at the end of the day I ended up with a 2nd place age group finish and 8th overall. So until next year my triathlon buddies!

This next weekend brings the American Diabetes Association walk in Lubbock on Saturday, followed by a 3 hour ride, and then on Sunday the first Panhandle 1/2 Marathon race. I have a feeling I won't be setting any personal records for that one.

After that I am heading to Snyder on October 6th for the White Buffalo 5K Stampede, and then one more race that deserves it's own blog coming soon. Have fun, stay active, and please if you drink beer, drink good beer!

Keebler

Since we forgot to take the camera this year how about a pic of me racing and my support crew from 2008 :)

                                                   
                                   That face means that my heart rate is somewhere north of 190!
     
         
                             Not much has changed Allie sleeping and Anna fighting to stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment